I had the opportunity to do my first internship this summer. It was a good experience because I figured out something very important about myself - I do NOT want to work in a cubicle! Not that there is anything wrong with that: it is just not the career for me. During these last two days, I think I've discovered what I really want to do: be a researcher and work in academia. We'll see where life takes me!
So, here I am, at Friday's Session 3, which is a presentation about internships. I think this is a great resource for any student!
The presenters introduced themselves and spoke about their internship histories. A few of the panelists had the same kind of internship experiences as me: they discovered what they did not want to do for the rest of their lives. I think it's really great to figure that out, and I'm glad I did.
Wendy Carmody, the program manager of HP University Relations, gave a lot of good advice about internships, including:
-It is important to arrive ready to work hard because the summer is short!
-Don't always expect to do an big, innovative, creative project.
-Try to get a lot out of the opportunity.
-Don't be afraid to speak up if you have a problem.
-Demonstrate leadership qualities.
The panelists took questions from the audience. One really intrigued me: imposter syndrome. I totally experienced that when I started at my internship; I was always thinking I wasn't good enough to do the internship. I still experience this feelings from time to time when something good happens. It's nice to see that others experience these feelings as well.
Brit McCullar
Official GHC 2007 Blogger
You may comment on this blog by visiting the GHC Forum. You can find me at britghc2007.blogspot.com.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment